Saturday 10 May 2014

"The way is to climb, the way is to lie still..."

I climb up two short flights of stairs and I'm in the dojo.
My way these days is to lie still, to close my eyes inhaling the slightly musty scent off the tatami mats and to be RAW. 
Setting my music player on shuffle, I try and create a state of "no inner dialogue" by being in a Relaxed body, Alert mind, and Waiting spirit.
Now, the shuffle setting is a hoot because sometimes I listen to favourites like Nina Simone's Sinnerman, Fleet Foxes' Your Protector, or The Pixies' Levitate Me and other times tunes less conducive to RAW will come up such as Aphex Twin's 4 or Pink Floyd's Careful With That Axe, Eugene.

Still, if the suspension of judgement and inner dialogue were easy, there would be no point in the practice. So I practice, and I observe in mild and amused despair how much inner dialogue comes up, how many little stories about likes and dislikes I tell myself, and just how much daydreaming I get lost into.
Nia's practice of RAW is difficult for me, and it also does me good.

I recently read Bruce Lee's take on RAW:
'Do not be tense, just be ready, not thinking but not dreaming, not being set but being flexible. It is being "wholly" and quietly alive, aware and alert, ready for whatever may come'.

Sounds good to me.




No comments:

Post a Comment